Saturday, April 2, 2011

Domestically Challenged

Especially in Utah, moms are supposed to be the best cooks. Dinners, treats, after school snacks...they are supposed to do it all. My mom wasn't like this. I came from a family where my mom works all the time and my dad has always made dinner. So I never really learned how to do the whole "homemaker" thing. My poor future husband had better be ok with eating some experimental concoctions while I figure it all out. BUT oddly enough I love to bake when I'm stressed. Muffins and cupcakes in particular for some weird reason. I also have been trying to make dinners from scratch more...ok so we've only made one dinner...but it's a start!! Sometimes I like to try new things other than the typical cupcakes, cookies, poppy seed or blueberry muffins, brownies, etc.  So here are a few of my creative attempts:
Fluffer Oreo Cupcakes

These were sooooo good! I love Oreos and Marshmallows, so this was just combining them into one amazing cupcake. I wasn't able to put two oreos in mine though because this person used a Texas size muffin tin. And it was around Halloween so I used the oreos with the orange filling to make them more festive. They were delicious!!


Chicken Enchiladas
Dee and I get mexican way more than anyone should. So when we decided to make dinner, of course we went with chicken enchiladas. They were yummy! But I tweaked the recipe a little bit because we forgot to get stuff at the store, it was fine though. It was still a good dinner. They took forever though. Hopefully as I start cooking more, it goes faster...because it was a little ridiculous. 


 Pistachio Muffins 
These were good too!! And i promise I'm not just bias...well hopefully not. But I got the idea off of One Tree Hill oddly enough. And I LOVE pistachios so it sounded interesting! No one had even heard of the idea, so I had to try. They had a sweet and salty combo that was soooo yummy...but that's why I like kettle corn. These muffins were unique and different but turned out pretty well! Not so much a sweet dessertish thing, but more of just a snack.  


Delicious Banana Pecan Bread
So on Saturday Abby and I decided that we were going to make banana bread using the brown bananas that were lying around.  I had never made banana bread before so we decided to try it out!  Half way through we decided to diverge from the recipe and add nuts. But the only nuts that they had were pecans (i'm pretty sure you're supposed to use walnuts or something) but it was all we had. And not only that but they were slightly past their "best if sold by" date...only by like 2 years! They tasted fine though. So Abby decided she was going to caramelize them. Had she done this before? Nope! It was just an adventure all around. The nuts got a little burt so we added water and brown sugar and made a sort of sauce along with them. We mixed it all together and threw it in the oven...then came the waiting. We waited and waited until finally it was done. And then we had to wait for it to cool, so of course we sat and watched the pan cool because we were so excited! But oh.my.goodness. it was the best banana bread ever! The nuts added a little somethin somethin and it was moist and just yummy! We were pretty proud of our baking adventure!

My next adventure is hopefully going to be Chai muffins. So we'll see how that goes. They'll probably end up on here. 
But until then just chocolate chip cookies for my cute boyfriend. If anyone has good recipes that are fun, yummy, and maybe on the easier side just let me know!! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment